loading Loading, please wait...

How to Verify a Professional's License in Columbia?

When planning a project, it is important to seek the services of licensed professionals to prevent scams or poor workmanship. The South Carolina Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulation (SCLLR) is responsible for licensing professionals in the City of Columbia, and the Department performs this duty through more than 40 professional and occupational boards. To confirm that your desired professional holds a valid license, you can check the online licensee lookup portal maintained by the SCLLR or contact the Department at (803) 896-4300.

In addition to confirming licensing requirements, you should also confirm whether the professional has fulfilled other occupational requirements. For instance, general contractors in Columbia City are typically required to obtain the necessary permit before starting any residential or commercial building project. The Planning and Development Services Department is responsible for issuing permits for building projects, and receives building-related permit inquiries at (803) 545-3483.

Do The City of Columbia, South Carolina Neighborhood Councils
Issue Permits?

The Columbia Council of Neighborhoods (CCN) represents over 100 neighborhoods in the City of Columbia, with the sole aim of enhancing cooperation between neighborhoods and city officials. You can find more information about the CCN by contacting the Council online. Although the CCN does not issue home improvement or construction work permits, some of its duties involve advocating on issues that affect neighborhoods across Columbia City, such as safety, housing, transportation, and beautification issues. For instance, in July 2021, the CCN offered grants to several neighborhoods to facilitate a National Night Out (NNO) event. The NNO event is an annual event organized in communities across the country, with the aim of bridging the gap between community residents and police officials and raising awareness on crime, drug, and violence prevention measures. Also, in August 2021, the CCN joined the National Association of Housing and Redevelopment Officials (NAHRO) to advocate for affordable housing in Columbia City. The August Advocacy involved petitions to Congress and the White House to provide housing choice vouchers to assist families needing housing assistance.

How to File an Unfair Business
Complaint in The City of Columbia, South Carolina?

The South Carolina Department of Consumer's Affairs (SCDCA) is the agency in charge of receiving complaints involving a professional's or business's unfair or illegal practices in the City of Columbia. Such complaints can be filed via an online complaint portal, by mail, or in-person. To file a complaint by mail or in person, a complainant must fill the Department's complaint form and deliver it to

  • South Carolina Department of Consumer Affairs
  • 293 Greystone Boulevard
  • Suite 400
  • P.O. Box 5757
  • Columbia, SC 29250-5757

Complaints received by the SCDCA are processed and mediated to find solutions for both the consumer and the professional or business in question. In some cases, the SCDCA may refer the complaint to the bureau or agency overseeing the professional's occupational category for further investigation and possible sanctions. Note that this bureau or agency may require you to provide additional information that can help with the investigation process. Also, because the SCDCA investigates complaints in the public's interest, it may recommend that you initiate legal proceedings to pursue your personal compensation against the business or professional named in your complaint. However, this recommendation is discretionary, and it is advised that you consult a qualified attorney for legal advice. Legal actions for compensation against a business or professional are typically filed at the Richland County Magistrate Court, which handles small claims lawsuits for matters that involve a total of $10,000 or less.